Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cheers and Jeers Monday

At school, we call them "cheers and jeers" when you get to share the highs and lows of your day.  My emotions were all over the place on Monday.  Let's start off with the jeer...

7:15 Monday morning:






It's actually a pretty funny story.  I was headed down the highway on my way to work, passed a few slower cars in the granny lane, then pulled into the right lane, myself.  Just then, this sports car whizzes past me in the left lane, and I can consciously remember thinking, "What a moron.  He's going to kill someone."  Then, he deliberately slows down, matching my speed.  I thought it was weird but just kept on driving.  From then on, he keeps randomly speeding up, then slowing down, like he's trying to get my attention.  All of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I see him roll down the window, and I immediately go into creeper alert.  I mean, like seriously weirded out, y'all.  This goes on for about a full minute before I finally look over to see what's going on.  And, there he is, poor guy, flagging me down, screaming, "Your tire!  Your tire!!"  I finally get the point.  Not a creep.  Not at all.  He's actually decked out in his military garb, headed to the air force base for work.  I felt like such an idiot.

Nice guys do still exist.  Write it down.


Of course, I immediately called my dad, who basically said not to panic if I wasn't riding on the rim (which I clearly was not).  My sweet daddy came up to the school while I was teaching and refilled my tire.  I still have to get it patched up, but the leak is really slow and not an emergency.

And the cheer?  Well...

After that, I assumed my day was completely shot because it threw my entire afternoon errand schedule out of whack.  But what started out frustrating ended up being a blessing.  Long story short, I had to switch vehicles with my dad in the afternoon and actually help him run an errand.  We ended up getting the opportunity to spend an hour or so in the evening just talking.  It was a good reminder to me that I need to keep a check on where I invest my time and energy.  If things hadn't happened the way they had, I probably would have ended up plopped down in front of the couch, computer and coffee in hand, vegetating for the rest of the day.  Instead, I had the chance to spend quality time with one of the people I value and look up to most.  The older I get, the more I realize that people matter.  God created us to be relational beings.  Treasure the people that matter and invest your life in appreciating them.


OK, sappiness over.  In all seriousness, I hope y'all have a great week.  Happy Tuesday!




2 comments:

  1. Love the way you looked at this..you are so right! I have a very similar funny situation where I had forgotten to turn my lights on and was driving down the high way without them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, happens to the best of us!! I hope your week is going well!

      Delete