Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shrimp 'n' Grits

New Year's Eve was fabulous and low-key.  I really enjoyed my time with family and friends.  Our night revolved around food, and we all went to bed that night with full bellies (which was great, since half of us started diets the next day).

One of my all-time favorite meals is shrimp 'n' grits.  Mmmm....

I've ordered it countless times while eating out but had never thought to attempt it myself.  For New Years, I decided to cook it for dinner, and it was pretty darn good, if I say so, myself.

I came across this recipe for cream cheese grits on Pinterest and modified the shrimp part just a bit.  Y'all, it was so good.  Of all the times I've eaten grits, I've never had them with cream cheese.  Now, I don't think I'd want it all the time (it's super excessively heavy), but it's a nice occasional treat.  And, if you've never eaten it this way, do it right now.




Cream Cheese Grits (per the caramel jar)

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
1 cup of stone-ground grits (I used Old-Fashioned Quaker Grits)
1/3 cup mascarpone or cream cheese (I used cream cheese)
salt and pepper to taste

*I added a handful of shredded cheddar, as well

**I also doubled this recipe (holy heart attack, I know) because these measurements yield 6 servings, and I was serving over 6 people.  As I was cooking, I thought there was no way one serving would be enough for 6 people...until I tasted it.  It's so rich, you can't eat more than 3/4 to 1 cup of the grits.  It is oh so filling.  Just a heads up!

Begin by combining the heavy cream and milk in a medium to large saucepan over a medium/low heat.  The original recipe says to simmer, but I found that with such a large amount it was taking forever to heat up.  I increased the heat a notch or two but stirred continuously, so the milk would not burn.  This helped, and I had no issues with the increased heat temp.






Once the mixture is simmering, whisk in the grits (again - stir constantly).  Add a dose of patience -- this is a good 30 minutes of stirring.




Once the grits are cooked, add in the cheeses, salt, and pepper.  Voila!

Shrimp:

1 package of thick cut bacon
1 lb. of shrimp

Place bacon in frying pan and cook until crispy on medium heat.  Drain on a paper towel lined plate, but do not discard the grease.  Place shrimp in the bacon grease, and cook until no longer pink (about 3 minutes).









We topped our grits with shrimp, crumbled bacon, and chives.  So yum!













2 comments: