Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Foley/Fairhope Weekend Getaway

I'm still trying to catch up from my long weekend.  Today was a DOO - ZY, for sure.  Kids, meetings, kids again, another meeting, kids' evening performance = 12+ hour work day.  Wow!

As tough as today was, I'm still riding on my weekend high.  Not that it was overly exciting, but it did include a much needed getaway with my sweet family.

Friday afternoon, I got off work early and headed to Foley, Alabama, with my mom, sister, and Gma for a little outlet shopping.  We spent the afternoon and evening walking the whole perimeter and found some pretty awesome deals.

We stayed that night in Orange Beach, slept in a bit, and drove north to Fairhope.

I.  Am.  In.  Love. 

I've been to Fairhope before, but I think this is the first time I've ever actually appreciated it.  If you've never been, I'll give you a quick rundown.

Fairhope is the most picture perfect town that sits right on the Mobile Bay.  It is small, friendly, and quiet.  On top of all that, it boasts one of the most beautiful little downtown shopping areas, including excellent boutiques, novelty shops, and cafes.  It almost rivals Blue Ridge, Georgia.  Almost.

After opening and closing Fairhope, we drove back to Foley and ate dinner at Lamberts ("Home of the throwed rolls!").  There are three Lamberts locations -- the one in Foley and two in Missouri.  If you ever get the chance to go, you've got to do it.  It's a little gimmicky, but so, sooo good.  Everyone at the restaurant plays a different "role."  There are waiters/waitresses to take your order and play pranks on the customers, there's one person who walks all throughout the restaurant throwing rolls to anyone who wants one, and there are others who handout the pass-around items, which are included with every meal.  The pass-arounds when we were there included fried okra, tomato macaroni, cabbage, and an onion and potato casserole.  The menu is all Southern cooking.  I ordered the fried chicken (oh-so yummy).

Afterwards, we headed back to the Panhandle and finished out the rest of the weekend at church and lounging on the couch.  Perfect!

I was able to snap a few phone pics along the way...





Downtown Fairhope












Mardi Gras decorations were in full force






Such a cute boutique


Back in Foley at Lamberts....





Action shot!








I can't leave out my favorite purchase of the weekend...

"Tied to the South" Southern Point Company shirt -- so precious!




No comments:

Post a Comment