Friday, August 3, 2012

Fail + Classroom project...

Well, needless to say, my 2011 summer venture to begin a blog ended up an epic failure.  Two posts (two posts!!) into it, the school year got started, and I just lost my once triumphant motivation.  However, I have since determined to not let it happen again and have decided to give it another try, beginning with a classroom project reveal...

This upcoming school year, I've been given the opportunity to wander into unknown territory for the first time...lower elementary.  I've taught 5th grade for two years and 4th grade for two years.  This should be interesting, but I am oh-so excited!!  Moving classrooms has taught me a lot about the importance of packing things well, which I certainly did not do.  I paid for it when I opened the door to my new room a few weeks ago and found this:

It has literally taken me two weeks to dig through this mess, sorting and organizing along the way.  I'm getting close but still have many hours to put in before I will finally be ready for August 20th, our first day of school.  In the meantime, I've also taken on quite a few at-home projects to hang up in my new room.  In my four years of teaching, I've never exactly chosen a classroom "theme," per se.  I've always just picked out a few colors and fabrics and worked from there.  Year five isn't much different, except for the fact that I've gone with an entirely new color scheme this year.  Here are a few pictures of last year's set-up:

Ignore the television and the mess.  This was pre first day of school...

My library area or "Novel Nook"

Moving to a new grade level and new classroom made me desperately want to switch up my decor, so I chose new fabrics and colors:

Gray chevron, golden-yellow, burlap, and lime green polka dot (not pictured)

I have an amazing best friend who is working tirelessly to make all of my curtains and tablecloths.  Seriously, she is my hero because this girl can't sew to save her life.  While those are being completed, I have, however, been able to tackle a few at-home projects that I'll be posting over the next few weeks.  My first project was creating a new name sign.  I had never painted in my life until last year.  My family's artistic talent skipped right over me and was passed down instead to my younger brother and sister.  Totally unfair.  But, I did manage to knock out a pretty decent sign for myself last summer.  So much so that I was able to run a "mini-business" for a few months making similar signs for other teachers.  

Last year's sign

This year, I'm obsessing with the chevron pattern, so I decided to go with a yellow chevron that complemented my new fabrics.  I had no idea how challenging it would be to draw out that pattern, but three hours and several headaches later, I finally had it drawn exactly nearly the way I wanted it.  I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out and plan to hang it outside my door pretty soon.

New classroom sign

Lots more to do and think about before school starts, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Many more projects to post soon, and here's to committing to actually keeping up this blog!!

No comments:

Post a Comment