Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Pinterest Project

I've been an avid "pinner" for a while now.  I'm currently pushing 2,000 pins on my account, and I'm proud to say that I've actually made, eaten, or attempted quite of few of the things I've found.  My biggest board is "Classroom Ideas."  It's extremely disorganized, and, lately, I've been wanting to break it apart into several different boards that focus on organization, lesson plans, crafts, etc.  BUT, that is a project for another day....

One of my most recently completed projects was something I had pinned a while ago....


I was so excited when I found this project because it is far less complicated than using modge podge or other popular Pinterest descriptions.  The link above takes you directly to the original post, but, essentially, you are "faking" that stenciled look.  Here's my take on this awesome dupe...

I started out by measuring the space between each of the shelves and then cutting each of those individual measurements out of cardboard boxes.  Word to the wise:  Use a box cutter.  I was in a hurry and didn't exactly think this through.  It was not at all easy to do with a pair of scissors.  Yes, I said scissors.  Yikes!  Impossible?  No.  Stupid?  Perhaps.


Once I had all five of my cardboard pieces cut, I laid out my chosen fabric and got to work!

My little sister dropped by the school to help me.  :)


If I could re-do this project, I would have hot glued the fabric to the cardboard.  But, in an attempt to finish quickly and move on to another project, we stapled them on.  It worked out fine, except for a few staples poking through that had to be hammered down.  

Finished product!

One other bit of advise would be to make sure that when you're cutting your cardboard pieces, you either take exact measurements or slightly larger measurements.  One of the pieces I cut was about a centimeter too short, which means it doesn't fit very well into the back of the bookcase.  Oops...



No comments:

Post a Comment