Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Travel Tuesday: Thomasville, Georgia

Back in March, my mom and I decided to take a day trip over to Thomasville, Georgia, during my spring break.  It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from here and only about 20 minutes north of Tallahassee, where my sister lives.  While she was in class, we explored Thomasville and then met up with her to shop and eat in the evening.

Thomasville is a picturesque south Georgia town.  Tiny, but charming.  The primary attraction of the city is its beautiful plantation home:  Pebble Hill.  This trip was my second visit to Pebble Hill, but it definitely won't be my last.  I love walking through the house and learning the history of the home, but, even more than that, I just enjoy walking the grounds and exploring the gardens, barn, and sprawling oak trees.

 View of the front of the house


 The back of the house


 Garden


 Stable and barn area -- they hold a lot of weddings here in the courtyard


 Collection of carriages







After we spent a few hours touring and meandering, we headed into town to grab a quick lunch.  We had already planned out exactly where we were going to eat, but, because we spent so much time at the plantation, we missed the 2:00 lunch time deadline for most of the downtown restaurants.  It was such a blessing in disguise, however, because we ended up eating at a place called George & Louie's.  It was complete perfection!








 Our appetizer:  fried green tomatoes


 Mom and I both ordered the fried shrimp with cheese grits





If you ever find yourself in southwest Georgia, I highly recommend stopping by Thomasville to look around.  There were also, what looked like, a few really cute downtown boutiques, but we didn't have a chance to visit any.  I'm planning another trip back really soon!


Helene in Between

10 comments:

  1. looks lovely! Glad you had a fun visit with your Mom:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was gorgeous and so much fun!!

      Delete
  2. this is absolutely gorgeous!! seriously, i will have to make a trip out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to Georgia (unless you count a layover in Atlanta, which I do not). But have always wanted to visit. This looks like fun and so cute/quaint/not sure how to describe it ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place. I would love to have these raised garden beds I can just see my garden growing there lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Thomasville! When I was very little, my family lived and farmed in Boston, which is just a little East of Thomasville.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love visiting large plantation homes like this. They're just so majestic. And I just love all the history of them and imagining what it may have been like to live in a home like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE Thomasville GA such a great small southern town! G&L is one of my favorite places that Ive eaten there too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thomasville is so wonderful! My best friends parents own a B&B just a few blocks off of downtown, and I love visiting in the summer. The shops are great to wander around...everything just exudes southern charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a perfect little town! I wish I had had more time to stroll through downtown...I'm hoping to get the chance to do that over the summer. Love that place!

      Delete